Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Chill in the Air

Some people go crazy for Christmas. My people go crazy for Halloween. Maybe that says a lot about us. Free candy, spooky decor, and costume balls are all things that make this witch's blood quicken come October. My Mom always decorates her house (especially the fireplace) and herself for Halloween and is a big part of what makes Halloween magical. Now that I have children (or child) of my own, I recall the excitement of Halloween and only hope I can pass it on to my little pumpkin. Some favorite traditions are: family pumpkin carving followed by the Worcestershire pumpkin seeds, mulling over costume possibilities, heart warming chili before a chilly night of trick-or-treating, Witches Brew (homemade root beer on dry ice), the trunk or treat, my neighbors who created a huge web and spider on their porch, wore a pumpkin on his head and gave out apple cider, and last but not least maple pumpkin cookies! Here is the recipe. This is what Autumn tastes like and I hope it gets you in the spirit. What are some of your favorite memories?

Maple Pumpkin Cookies
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. cooked or canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 c. shredded coconut

Frosting:
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2-3 cups confectioners sugar
1 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. maple flavoring
Blend ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and lemon extract; beat well. Sift in dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Fold in coconut. Drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Frost when cool. Makes 3 dozen.

5 comments:

jamieanne said...

E.T. Phone Home.

Dansie Family said...

those cookies sound dilish. i will definitely try them. when it comes to halloween, tom is a bit of a party pooper, but the little ones are excited. i think they will be clowns this year. now if i can just get tom to dress up as well.

ali said...

Mmmm. Let's make some. They're Curt's favorite. And long live the wicked witch who answers to the door! And chili. And breadsticks. And cookies. And ET.

Lane said...

I love these cookies. They are one of my only favorite treats that include no chocolate.

One of my favorite Halloweeen memories is when Jana and I dressed up as the Exxon oil spill for Halloween.

I also loved the year that you and I dressed up as Gargoyles for that party in San Francisco where everyone else was dressed as a hooker.

Steve and Cami said...

yum. i'm going to try these cookies. i'm with you. i go crazy for halloween.