Wednesday, May 16, 2007

National Treasure

As a lover of art and architecture it is embarrassing that last week was my first visit to the National Cathedral. What a treat. This cathedral has the proportions and grandeur of its gothic grandparents but is a modern structure. Although the idea for a national cathedral dates back to the late 1700s, construction didn't start until 1907 and didn't stop until 1990! This is a baby in cathedral terms.
I loved the strong gothic lines and its soaring towers that recall some medieval heavy weights of Europe but it reveals its youth starting with its facade. It is less sculpturally fussy (dare I say messy) so the gothic form stands alone and is beautiful in its simplicity. There are also a lot of other modern features like abstract stained glass windows, the children's chapel (darling), and the Darth Vader gargoyle. Yes that's right Darth Vader!
In the 80's a national competetion was held for school children to design a gargoyle and a little boy from Kansas entered Darth Vader and was a winner! I think its pretty amazing the National Cathedral has a Vader gargoyle. If, like me, you have gone through life and DC without ever venturing to the National Cathedral, shame on you (and me) so put it on the agenda. I would suggest tea in the west tower and a picnic in the gardens would also be lovely- looking up at Darth Vader!!!

2 comments:

jamieanne said...

I've been there a time or two, but never noticed the Vader gargoyle. I am seriously intrigued!

Stephanie said...

When I interned in DC in college, a group of us went to the National Cathedral to listen to Handel's Messiah sung by St. Albans (next door) Boys Choir. It was AMAZING!!!