Thursday, April 5, 2007

Viva Brasil!

This tee reminded me of my beloved Brazil (Brasil if you fala). It is going on 7 years since I have been to Brazil and I miss it's friendly people, tropical fruit, beans & rice, guarana, and passion fruit (okay, so I already mentioned tropical fruit). I crave fresh passion fruit juice like mad. Brazilians have a talent for making tasty juice out of pretty much any fruit. When offered juice in a someone's home, a fresh glass was always whipped up in the blender- yum! Once on a beach in northern Brazil we ordered "coco verde," a coconut milk concoction, and then saw a skinny Brazilian boy shimmy up the closest coconut palm to pluck our coconut and run it back to the bar for mixing. Although bottled fruit concentrates are available from grocers who pedal brazilian products, they're a sorry second to the real deal. Its down right difficult here in the US of A to get your hands on a decent passion fruit (big and yellow please, not small & purple) but here is a tasty recipe for some blender magic that is a little sip of my beloved Brasil. Whip this up and imagine you self on a lovely Brazilian beach. Enjoy!

Brazilian Limeade:

2 limes
3 T. condensed milk
water
ice

Wash limes and cut off rough ends then quarter. Add to blender and fill about ½ of blender with water. Blend about 10 seconds. Strain and return to blender. Add 2- handfuls of ice and the condensed milk. Blend until well mixed and frothy. Add more condensed milk to reach desired sweetness if necessary. Enjoy in a festive glass with an umbrella- Oba!


6 comments:

ali said...

I love this recipe ... imagine that. Ali liking something that consists mostly of limes? :)

Thanks so much for sharing. Summer wouldn't be summer without a Fuzzy Monkey!

Liz Stanley said...

yes! i knew celeste used to call this recipe fuzzy monkey and i've been meaning to get it from her! thanks ashley! (i'm celeste's lil sis)

celeste said...

This is the drink that got us through NYC summers without air conditioning. TGFFM(thank goodness for fuzzy monkeys)!

jamieanne said...

Oh, summer, where are you? This sounds like the perfect complement to some sunny weather. If only we had some!

angie said...

I love new recipes - I am excited to try this one because I love lime

Stephanie said...

This post had me thinking about passion fruit and my "passion" for it. At Smiths the other day I noticed they had the purple wrinkly kind, and being intrigued, I purchased two. They looked terrible (you were SO right!) inside and I threw them away. I'd love some from Brazil! The real stuff sounds fantastic.