Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mixed Up Love

I love Valentine's Day. Its a day to celebrate all things sweet and Love-ly. This is where I need all your suggestions. For our Valentine's Day plans this year we have decided to forgo the overpriced dinner at a fancy restaurant and stay in. We clear the coffee table to be used as a more intimate dining table, throw the pillow cushions on the floor and enjoy our meal snuggled up zen style. We both looove cheese so we make a meal of it- coupled with a little fruit and chocolate of course!

So to make our night complete we need some background music. I am compiling a Valentine's Day mix and need all of your fav love songs. To reward you for your fabulous suggestions I will in turn post cupid's collection of 'Mixed Up Love' for you and your heart throb to enjoy on the big day.

'Mixed Up Love'
1. I Melt with You: Nouvelle Vague (a fresh take on Modern English's hit love song)
2. Such Great Height: Postal Service (the freckles in our eyes are mirror images & when we kiss they're perfeclty aligned...)
3. I Will Follow You Into the Dark: Death Cab (Ali)
4. Soul Meets Body: Death Cab (Ali & Ashley- your the only song that I want to hear, a melody softly soaring though my atmosphere...)
5. These Words: Natasha Bedingfield (Jamie Ann)
6. This Modern Love: Bloc Party (Jamie Ann)
7. Somewhere Only We Know: Keane (Jamie Ann)
8. Forever Young : Youth Group (Jamie Ann)
9. Feels Like Home : Chantal Kreviazuk (Jamie Ann)
10. Soldier of Love: Donny Osmond (Grant......way to bring in the sappy luv tunes)
11. I Can't Live Without Your Love and Affection: Nelson (Grant)
12. Escape: Enrique Iglesias (Grant)
13. When You Love Somebody: Fruit Bats (Ali)
14. I've Just Seen a Face: The Beatles (Ali)
15. Else: Built to Spill (Ali)
16. Lovesong: The Cure (Ali)...although I almost listed this myself as well. It's an 80's love classic!
17. I Believe: Stevie Wonder (Ali)
18. The Start of Somthing: Voxtrot (Ali)
19. Only You: Joshua Radin (Ali)
20. Magic in the Air: Badly Drawn Boy (Ali)
21. Temptation by New Order (Lane...BEST SONG sounds like it could be some new indie band but was cool before there was cool).
22. Hardcore Days & Softcore Nights: Aqueduct (Lane)
23. You're so Hot: OK Go (Lane)
24. Yours To Keep: the Teddybears (Lane.."I listen to this pretty much every single day.")
25. In & Out of Love :the Trainwreck Riders (Lane)
26. Gotta Have You: the Weepies (Lane)
27. Love Will [Bring Us Down]: Suburban Kids. (Lane)
28. The Book of Love: the Magntic Fields (Lane)
29. Love Bytes: Def Leppard (Corey)
30. Open Arms: Journey (Corey)
31. Every Rose has it's thorn: Poison (Corey)...although what are you trying to say with this selection?
32. Silent Lucidity: Queensryche (Corey)
33. I don't wanna live w/out your love: Chicago (Corey)
34. Feel Like Makin' Love: Bad Company (Steph)
35. Rock with You: Michael Jackson (Steph)
36. Sweet Thing: Mary J. Blige (Steph)
37. Be Without You: Mary J. Blige (Steph)
38. Funny Valentine: Ella Fitzgerald (Steph)
39. Lady, You Bring Me Up: the Commodores (Steph)
40. Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours; Peter Frampton (Steph) Stevie Wonder's classic also recommendable.
41. Baby I Love Your Way: Peter Frampton (Steph)
42. I think; I'm Glad: J. Lo (Steph)
43. Our House: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (b. knickerbocker)
44. We Will Become Silhouettes: The Shins (b. knickerbocker)
45. I Will: The Beatles (b. knickerbocker)
46. Making Days Longer - RJD2 (b. knickerbocker)
47. Girl You Know its True:Milli Vanilli (Marta)
48. More Than Words: Extreme (Marta)
49. Elephant Love Medley: Moulin Rouge Sound Track (Ewan & Nicole) many greats combined in one!
50. Your Song: Moulin Rouge Sound Track (Pam) How could we have missed this one?! Kudos to Pam for suggesting perhaps the greatest love song of all time!

17 comments:

ali said...

What about Soul Meets Body and I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Deathcab? Both good choices. More to come, but I can barely keep my eyes open right now. I haven't been on the blog scene for a few days (like normal people) and I love seeing new stuff.

Cute artwork/Valentine, btw.

jamieanne said...

These Words by Natasha Bedingfield
This Modern Love by Bloc Party
Somewhere Only We Know by Keane
Forever Young by Youth Group
Feels Like Home by Chantal Kreviazuk

jamieanne said...

Grants suggestions would be
Soldier of Love by Donny Osmond
I Can't Live Without Your Love and Affection by Nelson
Escape By Enrique Iglesias.
Yes, I'm serious.

ali said...

Grant can't be serious. Though I'm afraid he is. :)

More:

When You Love Somebody: Fruit Bats
I've Just Seen a Face: The Beatles
Else: Built to Spill
Lovesong: The Cure
I Believe: Stevie Wonder
The Start of Somthing: Voxtrot
Only You: Joshua Radin
Magic in the Air: Badly Drawn Boy

These are some of the songs I pulled from friends' "love" mixes when that was our theme for mix club.

Lane said...

I have two life-changing words for you: La Cerena. This is one beautiful, beautiful sheepmilk cheese that I discovered at my Murray's Cheese Lesson for Cheese-ophiles.

*one caveat, when I brought it home, no one else would touch it and I had to eat the whole block myself. Which was heavenly.

Now.
Music.
Here are some hits from my 2005 number one hit of the summer collection entitled "Forbidden Love" that was inspired, mind you, by some disastrous love ventures here in the Big Apple both by myself and my equally love-tortured single friends. In spite of that, the mix freakin' rocks. Here are some of my favorites.

Temptation by New Order (BEST SONG sounds like it could be some new indie band but was cool before there was cool.

Hardcore Days & Softcore Nights by Aqueduct

You're so Hot by OK Go

I second Jamie on Modern Love--great song

And on my current playlist...

Yours To Keep by the Teddybears (found on your 30 to the Max CD mix--I listen to this pretty much every single day)

In & Out of Love by the Trainwreck Riders (shout out to Em Cox annual mix)

Gotta Have You by the Weepies

Love Will [Bring Us Down] by Suburban Kids. A bit of a downer, but fun and poppy, and anyway, I am the single one here...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Lane said...

I almost forgot!!

The Book of Love by the Magntic Fields.

Olivia and I saw Stephen Merrit (songwriter and half of the band MF) speak a couple months ago, and he was incredibly curmudeonly, and when the interviewer, writer Rick Moody, said he had played this song at hsi wedding, Merrit said it was a song about cliches, and why would you want a song about cliches at your wedding. (Is that really just one sentence?)

NONETHELESS...I'm telling you, you will scarcely be able to listen to this without tears coming to your eyes. And this is coming from ME. It is one of the best best best love songs.

ali said...

Methinks the eldest sister needs to star her own bloggidy blog. :)

Anonymous said...

"Sappy luv tunes"??? I'll have you know that it was those epic ballads of adulation that wooed the nano Anderson sister.

Don't hate on me cuz I got mad skills!

jamieanne said...

Hey, about the cheese...I know you are both lovers of goat cheese. At the cheese tasting we had a goat cheese called Westfield Farm Capri. It was cheese-alicious and incredibly fresh. A mere 7 days from goat to plate. Best part of all, it's made right there in MA. Just a thought.
Also, my personal favorite was a sheepsmilk cheese called Brillat Savarin. Triple creme and tasty indeed!

C.D.W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C.D.W. said...

Love Bytes: Def Leppard
Open Arms: Journey
Every Rose has it's thorn: Poison
Silent Lucidity: Queensryche
I don't wanna live w/out your love: Chicago

That pretty much captures all the great love songs of this century...

Ashley A. said...

and Corey is now blasting 80's butt rock love songs from his computer..."oh wow, this is a great song!"

Gross, so far only the songs from the female persuasion are list worthy.

Stephanie said...

Feel Like Makin' Love by Bad Company; Rock with You by Michael Jackson; Sweet Thing by Mary J. Blige as well as Be Without You; Funny Valentine by Ella Fitzgerald; Lady, You Bring Me Up by the Commodores as well as Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours; Baby I Love Your Way by Peter Frampton I think; I'm Glad by J. Lo

Lane said...

Was the Brillat Savarin sheepsmilk or cow's milk? I thought the triple cream was cow's milk, but Jamie takes better notes than I do.

Ah, love and cheese...they go together in so many ways.

P.S. the single best thing we learned at the cheese lesson was that soft cheeses (brie, triple cream etc) is LESS fattening per bite, because it is mostly liquid. So eat up!

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I saw your comment about the males and I thought I would throw in my ¢2.

Heres a few from the mix I made Maeve last V-Day.

Our House - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

We Will Become Silhouettes - The Shins

I Will - The Beatles

Making Days Longer - RJD2

p.s. I hope you don't mind I occasionally read your blog.

marta said...

Ashley, this is an amazing mix. Honestly, I think Dan will appreciate it. Thanks for the fun idea. Please don't forget these two gems.

GIRL YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE - Milli Vanilli
and
MORE THAN WORDS - Extreme

ps. brad i love 'our house' and would listen to it on my MY GIRL soundtrack which is basically one of the best. i'm not ashamed to say.
pps. i am sure dan would like to throw in that one song, "Girl you'll be a Woman Soon" by Neil Diamond. I on the other hand cannot listen to that karaoke hit without cringing and feeling really awkward.

Happy Valentine's Day. Hope it's jammin.

Ashley A. said...

Ever since Steph posted "Feel like makin' love" i've been singing it all day (with air guitar motions). Brad- way to bring the dudes back to neutral ground. Please visit anytime- I read yours too (especially loved the year of Brad & Maeve video). Nothing says "I heart you" like Milli Vanilli. Ironically the Extreme entry "More than words" has left me well.....speachless.