Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The USVWs


I was recently called to volunteer with nine year old boy scouts- The Bear Den. I don't have any brothers so Boy Scouts is a foreign concept. My knowledge and participation in Girl Scouts is strictly confined to cookie consumption. Fish out of water is a mild term after leaving my first den meeting last week.

For our initiatory meeting our agenda was to come up with a den name and banner. Our bears came up with the den name the Ultimate Steel Viking Wolverines or USVWs. You thought it was some patriotic acronym but alas. I wish I had a picture of our banner which was a concoction of felt strips, dragons, shields and googly eyes glued at random. Throughout the meeting I kept thinking that in 7 short years I am going to have one of these boys myself and why does it smell so bad in here?! Do all nine year old boys have a gas problem?

9 comments:

Dansie Family said...

the hardest callings i've ever had. i had a small toddler and was prego with eliza. those boys have a lot of energy, but it was fun. good luck.

Andrea Holley said...

Wow. Good luck. That's a tough one!

ali said...

Hahahaha! Ultimate STEEL? Curtis is gonna love this. Those boys are going to keep you entertained ... even if they don't shower enough and play outside too much and collectively, tend to give off some stink.

Marty said...

Are you kicking yourself that you let Joce do all of the scouting in the Shoal Creek ward? I am!
I am sure you'll be great with the UVWCSOFNS or whatever they are called.

melissa walker said...

You can call my mom for help--she and my dad have been in cub scouts for 21 years--and they're still there, which is amazing to me! This is all to prepare you for when Max gets to this age!

Lane said...

One summer I was a cub scout camp counselor and I have the secret to instant popularity with nine year old olds. YOU ARE IN LUCK!

All you have to do it stick five warhead sour candies under your tongue for a full minute and they will be shocked and awed, you will have won their respect. It really is all about showing your dominance as the pack leader.

ps. one of them caught a shark in the bay on my watch. Have fun!

curtis said...

I just so happen to be an Eagle Scout. If you don't believe me I'll send you my resume. That's what got me into college. My favorite slogan at scout camp was this: "We're troop 839 and our bums really shine. Wanna see?" Our whole troop performed this slogan and mooned the entire scout camp. We were really rowdy. I know it's hard to believe.

Joel said...

Awesome! This is great. If you don't kill them it'll make them stronger.

Ashley A. said...

Thanks for you comments/advice everyone. The funny part is just over a month later I have been relieved of my calling and asked to move on to more feminine duties. Ha ha. I will miss the USVW- truly.